67% of the inspected companies were non-compliant REACH or CLP
The ECHA Forum’s second enforcement project (REF-2) focused on checking the compliance of downstream users â€“ particularly formulators of mixtures â€“ with the essential requirements of the REACH and CLP regulations. The project’s operational phase was carried out in 29 Member States or EEA countries from May 2011 until March 2012.
- The national enforcement authorities inspected 1 181 enterprises covering 6 900 substances, 4500 mixutres and 4500 safety data sheets (SDSs).
- The majority of the inspected companies were small or medium-sized. More than half of the inspected companies were not only active as downstream users but also in additional roles, e.g. as manufacturers, importers, distributors and only representatives.
- 67% of the inspected companies were non-compliant with one or more provisions of REACH or CLP.
- Non-compliance was most commonly related to contraventions of (pre-)registration (REACH, 8%), notification (CLP, 15%), failure to keep information (20%) and having deficient risk management measures (12%).
- Only 3% of companies failed to have the SDSs on site.