Under Section 16 of the Local Government (Water Pollution) Act 1977, (as amended), a person may not discharge trade effluent to sewer except in accordance with a licence issued under that act.
One of two types of licence are required
- Trade Effluent Discharge Licence
- FOG Licence
A FOG Licence (Fat’s Oils and Grease) is required for any Food Service Establishment (FSE) which discharges wastewater to the public sewer. FSEs include but are not limited to restaurants, pubs, take-aways hotels, cafes, filling station forecourt cooked food counters etc.
Trade Effluent and FOG Licences set out conditions with which the FSE must comply relating to:
- The nature, composition and volume of the trade effluent discharge
- The standards and practices associated with the design operation and maintenance of grease and FOG removal
- The records that need to be kept
- Applicable charges as approved by the commission for regulation utilities