What is Waste Management
Waste is a Resource which is not being used to optimise its value.
Waste management is a fundamental part of most businesses. Waste hierarchy is a tool which is made up of five steps: reducing waste at the source, reuse of materials, recycling, energy recovery, and landfilling. In order to be sustainable, waste management cannot be solved only with technical end-of-pipe solutions and an integrated approach is necessary. Where the creation of waste cannot be prevented, consideration must be given to the following in order of priority:
- Preparing for reuse
Waste management includes supply chain management, selection of raw materials and circular economy design and refers to the processes required to govern waste, from its creation to its disposal or reuse.
The objective of effective waste management is to minimise the amount of resources consumed, as well as to protect the environment and general wellbeing of public health.
- Waste management carried out with these objectives in mind can provide significant cost savings and added value to businesses in addition to benefitting the wider community and the environment.
Waste disposal and recovery activities in Ireland require an authorisation in accordance with the Waste Management Act 1996 (as amended). The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) regulates the activities of an upper tier of the more environmentally significant waste management sites, whilst local authorities are responsible for many smaller, non-hazardous waste facilities.
In accordance with Section 24 (1) of the Waste Management (Collection Permit) Regulations 2007 & 2008, a Waste Collection Permit is required in order to collect waste for the purposes of reward or profit. .
- A collection permit is valid for a maximum of 5 years from the grant date.
- Only list of List of Waste (LoW) codes which are listed on the permit may be collected/transported.
- Waste may only be transported by the vehicles listed on the permit
- Waste may only be delivered to the suitably authorise facilities document don the waste collection permit.
For more information on waste management and how to optimise resources please contact ECOS.