Wastewater: Activated Sludge – Microscopic examination
Quite often businesss could save themselves a lot of time and money through recording and reviewing key control parameters on a regular basis.
- The establishment of target and optimum ranges for key control parameters can assist in forecasting when non-compliances could arise and allow for suitable remedial measures to be implemented before a problem develops.
The performance of an activated sludge wastewater treatment plant can be quickly assessed through basic regular examination of samples of activated sludge mixed liquor using a microscope.
Magnification power of x100 to x200 is adequate. The principal aspects to be noted are:
- bacterial floc size and shape
- presence of filamentous bacteria
- presence of protozoans (flagellates, ciliates)
- presence of rotifers and higher life forms