Is your Waste Collection Permit up for renewal?
A waste collection permit is required where a person wishes to collect waste for the purposes of reward or profit. In accordance with Section 24(1) of the Waste Management ( Collection Permit) Regulations 2007 & 2008, a waste collection permit is valid for 5 years from the day it was granted. It is important for permit holders to note the date of renewal as review must be initiated no later than 60 days prior to the expiry date. Here is the procedure which outlines the requirements and processes for the review of a waste collection permit.
Process for applying for a review waste collection permit.
- ECOS in conjunction with the client should apply for a review waste collection permit using the specified application form and supporting documentation as presented in the following documents:
- NWCPO Guidance Manual: Waste Collection Permit Regulations
- NWCPO Waste Collection Permit Application Form.
- A review application is either initiated by the local authority or the permit holder.
- For a local authority initiated review, a notice will be sent telling the permit holder to make a review application within 60 working days of the notice being issued.
- For a permit holder initiated review, a review application is to be submitted no later than 60 working days before the date of expiry of an existing waste collection permit.
- ECOS are to obtain all relevant submissions, plans and documents from the client to support the review application. The documents required to support the application are the same as for a new application and are listed in Table 12.
- ECOS are to conduct the series of tasks outlined in Table 13 to complete the review application form.
- Once completed, the review application form is to be submitted to the NWCPO along with all of the relevant submissions, plans, and documents. Any other information that may be relevant to the application must also be submitted.
- The permit holder must provide payment of an appropriate fee which is €1,000 for a single region permit and a €2,000 for a multi-region permit, to a maximum charge €5,000 for all regions.
- Once the application is submitted, the NWCPO will either decide to:
- Grant a review waste facility permit if adequate information has been provided within 25 working days of application being received.
- Conduct a public consultation process on the basis of the changes proposed in the nature, focus or extent of the waste activities or the nature or extent of any emission. The public must be notified of the application being received and have 25 working days to make any submissions.
- Decides that a new waste collection permit is required due to changes in the nature, focus and extent of activities. The NWCPO will notify the applicant in writing within 5 days of making the decision.
- A review waste collection permit is issued for a period of five years (or shorter depending what the permit says).
If you would like more information please contact ECOS firstname.lastname@example.org or call (061) 633644. We will assist clients by guiding them through the application process and by preparing applications for waste facility permits and certificates of registration.