ECOS has been working with a manufacturing business since 2012 when we saved them €100,000 capital expenditure and €25,000 annual operational costs through optimising their use of a water resource.
Through modification of a production process a waste stream was reduced by in excess of 90% , negating the need for on-site treatment. Additional savings have been achieved such that the waste stream is currently <3% of what it was in 2012.
The client has maintained a 100% compliance with discharge licence requirements since 2012.
The project involved :
- Optimisation of manufacturing processes relative to their potential impact on waste generation and wastewater treatment requirements.
- Continuous review of production specifications and end user requirements with respect to environmental, licensing and economic considerations.
- Development of future busines plans and implementing process change to using Plan, Do, Check, Act/Adjust programmes.
- Ongoing review of regulatory compliance requirements: EPA, Local Authority and HSA
- Quantification of waste streams and cost metrics as KPIs
- Environmental licence application
- Compliance management
Up to 80 Percent funding is available to Enterprise Ireland and Industrial Development Authority clients to fund GreenStart projects and 50 Percent funding for GreenPlus projects.
GreenStart/Greenplus is not just for manufacturing companies! Software and internationally traded services companies can avail of funding to learn about and implement environmental improvements to their business.
Companies can apply for grant support towards the cost an assignment which will introduce best practice systems and structures, achieve cost reduction targets and lay a foundation for future environmental improvement projects, which in turn will lead to increased value to the business.
Eligible assignments may include:
- Guidance with preparation of an Environmental (/water/energy/waste) Policy Statement and Management System based on a ‘Plan, Do, Check, Act’ philosophy
- Review environmental activities & practices at the site
- Provide advice on risks (financial, reputational, regulatory or physical) and how to mitigate them
- Establish a baseline assessment to establish Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) and identify cost savings
- Guidance with Life cycle assessment and/or Circular economy thinking
There are no call close dates and as such applications can be made at any time of the year to suit the needs and priorities of the applicants business.
For more information on how GreenStart and Green Plus can be used to improve your business please contact us.