New publication makes the case for business to engage in water valuation
The World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD) launched a new publication that demonstrates the business case for companies to engage in water valuation.
- Water Valuation: Building the business case paves the way towards the integration of true water values and true water costs into decision-making.
Water availability is increasingly limited.
- Globally, water resources are constant, but if current trends continue, water demand is predicted to increase by 55% worldwide between 2000 and 2050, with some industries increasing much more, such as manufacturing by 400% and electricity production by 140% (OECD, 2012).
Businesses can better inform management actions and limit wasteful practices by assessing the value of the water they use.
- Water valuation can help companies maintain and enhance revenues, reduce costs, manage risks or enhance reputation.
The WBCSD publication
- Reviews the different internal and external drivers for companies to value water
- Details the different arguments for companies to engage in valuation
- Highlights the different applications for water valuation in business decision-making.
This publication is a first response to Vision 2050, a WBCSD report that lays out a pathway leading to a world where 9 billion people live well, within the limits of the planet, by 2050 (WBCSD, 2010).