The Eco-Innovation initiative rewards ideas for innovative products that protect the environment
The Eco-innovation initiative bridges the gap between research and the market. It helps good ideas for innovative products, services and processes that protect the environment become fully-fledged commercial prospects, ready for use by business and industry.
One interesting project recognizes REACH requirements relating to Chromium due to come into force in a few years time:
- The new product is intended for the aeronautic market, where it will be introduced as an environmentally friendly alternative to conventional Cr-based coatings, which provide optimum corrosion protection, but are highly toxic.
- The aim of ECOPROT is to industrialise a procedure for glass-like, environmentally-friendly and self-healing cerium-based coatings for corrosion protection of aluminium and magnesium alloys.
- The product will be introduced into the French aeronautic sector and will be further extended to address a wider geographical area and possibly other industrial sectors.
Specific tasks will include
- Optimization of the coating process for industrial applications (process scale-up)
- Validation of the coated products according to the high standards of the aeronautic industry, in order to ensure replication of the process
- Life cycle assessment of the entire process and the final product, taking into account all production stages, from raw materials to energy and water consumption, end-of-life, etc.
- Business plan to ensure penetration of the final product into the French aeronautic market as a first step and then extend it to other geographical areas
Target objectives include
- Cr-free, environmentally friendly and self-healing cerium-based coatings for corrosion protection of light weight alloys, for aeronautics application
- Introduction of the product into the French aeronautic market
- Extension to a wider geographical area and possible penetration of other industrial sectors (e.g. aerospace, automobile, building, etc.)
- Improved possibilities of material recycling and easier treatment of the coated product at end-of-life
- Overall reduction of environmental impact in terms of human health and ecosystem quality, mainly due to the elimination of chromium as an input material
- Foundation Tecnalia Research and Innovation (Tecnalia), SPAIN (Coordinator)
- Agencia Estatal Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas (CSIC), SPAIN
- Protection des MÃ©taux SAS (PROMET), FRANCE
- Quantis SAS (Quantis), FRANCE
- International Project Management, Plating and Materials (iPM2), FRANCE
The project ECOPROT is within the Eco-Innovation Program, with is part of the EU’s Competitiveness and Innovation Framework Programme (CIP), managed by the EACI in close cooperation with the European Commission’s Environment Directorate-General. Eco-Innovation includes any form of innovation aiming at significant and demonstrable progress towards the goal of sustainable development.
Source: CORDIS Wire