Simple Guide to Pollution Prevention for Businesses
Everybody has heard of major environmental disasters and the legal, public relation and financial costs to high profile business, right!!
- Less well known are the easily avoidable environmental issues applicable to all types of business, be they SMEs or large Multi-National Companies, which add significant cost to businesses every year.
Hands Up which businesses would like to save themselves the bad publicity and financial cost of avoidable environmental incidents…………….
So here area few easy ways to recognise sources of pollution in your business and more importantly how to avoid them.
- Do you know where your drains go?
- Only clean water, such as roof drainage, to surface water drains
- All contaminated water, such as sewage and trade effluent, to foul drains
- Do you have an up to date drainage plan of your site?
Storing oils, chemicals and other polluting materials
- Are storage containers fit for purpose, regularly inspected and maintained?
- Are storage areas and containers sited away from watercourses, surface water drains and unsurfaced areas?
- Do storage containers have secondary containment, such as a bund, to contain any leaks or spills?
- Do you have procedures for safe delivery and handling of materials?
- Is your storage and handling of waste safe and does it comply with the law?
- Do you know where your waste goes? Can you prove it’s disposed of correctly?
- Are you reducing and recycling your waste?
- Do you have a plan, equipment and training to deal with pollution and fire emergencies which is regularly tested?
Have you answered ‘no‘ to any of these questions?
- Get the advice and guidance you need from ECOS Environmental Consultants Limited