Blueprint to Safeguard Europe’s Waters
The Water Framework Directive (WFD) is a key initiative aimed at improving water quality throughout the EU.
- Applies to rivers, lakes, groundwater, and coastal waters.
- Requires an integrated approach to managing water quality on a river basin basis; with the aim of maintaining and improving water quality.
- Requires that management plans be prepared on a river basin basis and specifies a structured approach to developing those plans.
- Requires that a programme of measures for improving water quality be brought into effect by 2012 at the latest.
The European Commission has invited submissions online from stakeholders and the public on policy options for the forthcoming “Blueprint to Safeguard Europe’s Waters”, which is expected to be a major policy document on ensuring the quality of Europe’s waterways and water quality, within the framework of the EU Water Framework Directive.
The consultation period is open until 7 June 2012.
River Basin Management Plans were finalised for each of our 7 river basin districts in July 2010. and set out the current status of our waters, the objectives to be achieved by 2015, and the programme of measures to be implemented in order to achieve those objectives.
Copies of the plans are available on the websites of each River Basin District.
- Eastern River Basin District
- Neagh Bann International River Basin District
- North Eastern River Basin District
- North Western International River Basin District
- Shannon International River Basin District
- South East River Basin District
- South West River Basin District
- Western River Basin District
Water Framework Directive Ireland