Article 11: Determine Which Waste Authorisation is Required

November 20th, 2017

Article 11The Article 11 process is the mechanism which can be used where there is uncertainty as to which type of waste authorisation may required  – i.e. waste licence, waste facility permit, certificate of registration or none of these.

  • Clarification can be sought from the Environmental Protection Agency to determine the question for you in advance of making an application for authoristion.  Any such request should be made in accordance with Article 11 of the Waste Management (Facility Permit and Registration) Regulations, 2007, as amended in 2008.
  • Waste disposal and recovery activities generally require waste authorisation.  Which type of authorisation is required is dictated by the classes of waste activity listed in the Third Schedule of the Waste Management (Facility Permit and Registration) Regulations, 2007 (S.I. No. 821 of 2007), as amended in 2008 (S.I. No. 86 of 2008).

Authorisation comes in three forms:-

  • Certificate of registration (for activities listed in Part II of the Third Schedule);
  • Waste facility permit (for activities listed in Part I of the Third Schedule); or
  • Waste licence (all other activities).

The Article 11 process is relatively fast and the EPA will notify the requester (whether private sector operator or local authority) of its determination within 15 working days of receipt of a completed request.  A determination from the EPA in accordance with Article 11 is final.

For more information and for assistance through the application and management of waste authorisations please feel free to contact us.

T:  +353 (0) 61 633644